A former Rising Star winner was celebrated at the Daily Mirror’s annual Pride of Britain awards last night.
Francesca Brown, managing director and CEO of Goals4Girls, was presented with the Prince’s Trust Young Achiever Award by Dame Maggie Smith and HRH Prince Charles in a star-studded ceremony.
Brown has overcome depression and family troubles to build Goals4Girls, a football development programme, which works with young women, aged between 11 and 16. The programme aims to break down barriers and reduce inactivity amongst young women in sport, by raising the aspiration, self-confidence, self-esteem and mind sets of young women; inspiring them to set out and achieve their goals.
Goals4Girls has developed over 700 young women and is working closely with organisations like London Youth, Sports England, Prince’s Trust, The FA, London FA and Tottenham Hotspur Ladies.
Alongside Goals4Girls, Fran is the ambassador for the Prince’s Trust and is a FA Qualified coach who has worked with young women from BAME, African and ethnic minority communities’ across London.
On winning the Pride of Britain award, Fran said, “The biggest reward is watching the girls walk out on to the pitch or at training.”
“It also feels great when you can see how far they have built up their communication, teamwork, self-esteem and confidence.”
“I’m passionate about helping other young women reach their full potential by giving them the encouragement and training they need, which is something I never had.”
Speaking of their decision the award judges said, “Fran has overcome so much, and she has such a positive message for the young people she works with.”
“She is inspirational in so many ways.”
The Daily Mirror’s Pride of Britain Awards, in partnership with TSB, celebrates the achievements of remarkable people. Nominated by the public, the winners are inspiring people, of all ages, who have shown outstanding bravery, selfless acts and courage.
The full list of winners of the 2016 Pride of Britain awards include:
- Billy Muir – Community Partner
- Karen Johnson – Special Recognition
- Nikki Christou – Child of Courage
- Rhea Kara – GMB Young Fundraiser
- Team GB – Special Recognition
- Francesca Brown – Prince’s Trust Young Achiever
- Groves Family – Special Recognition
- Tilly Sawford – Child of Courage
- William Edwards – Outstanding bravery
- Simon and Tedd McDermott – Special Recognition
- Dr David Nott – Special Recognition
- Emergency services – Dr Simon Walsh, Dr Samy Sadek and paramedics Bill Leaning, Sam Margetts and Dean Bateman
- Dylan Graves – Special recognition
- Professor Stephen Hawking – Lifetime Achievement Award