Join BBC Digital and the BBC Academy to find out about Building Next Generation Services at the BBC. This event will introduce some of the core practices and technologies that the BBC uses to deliver its online services.
It will include a demonstration area in the Media Café where delegates will have the opportunity to meet staff from across BBC Digital who will be on hand to showcase the latest developments and job opportunities in their areas.
Delegates can discuss the BBC’s technology stack, development practices, approach to UX as well as our product management methodologies with members of BBC Digital teams, including BBC iPlayer and more….
The exhibition will be open from 12:00.
To complement the exhibition we will also be hosting a number of conference sessions in the BBC Radio Theatre. These sessions are open to everybody and are free to attend. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis via the booking link above.
Session 1 – Testing & Web Development, exhibition opens 12:00, speakers at 13:25
Building online services that are highly resilient and deliver thousands of gigabytes of data every day requires advanced engineering practices and complex testing. Teams in BBC Digital will present their experiences of introducing cloud, continuous delivery and automated testing to the BBC services that you use every day.
- Rachel Evans, BBC: Continuous Delivery for Audio & Video Factory
- James Cryer, Huddle: Introduction to PhantomCSS & Visual Regression Testing
- Paul Gerrard, Gerrard Consulting: New Model of Testing
- Shashikant Jagtap, BBC: Vagrantification of Appium Hive with Ansible
Session 2 – UX – visit exhibition from 15:00, speakers at 16:25
Have you ever wondered how the BBC manages a global navigation experience across all of its web products? This session will explore the approach and methodologies that the BBC use to create some of its biggest services.
- Ulrik Hogrebe, BBC News and World Service – on creating one of the biggest News sites globally
- Kathryn Leach, BBC Radio & Music – on designing the user experience for audio content across the BBC
- Sacha Sedriks, BBC Digital User Experience & Design – giving an overview of our nascent ‘LIVE’ digital service
Session 3 – Product Management, in association with Product Tank – visit exhibition from 18:00, speakers at 19:00
The BBC and Product Tank are joining forces again to host an event on managing video products.
A great line up of speakers will look at how to shape products and services in the fast moving world of video. What are some of the key challenges and opportunities? What breakthroughs can we expect from technology? How is audience behaviour changing?
- Isaac Showman, MD Reuters TV – on how they approached rethinking a mobile video service
- Chris Tangye, Product Manager BBCiPlayer – on the approach to mobile apps in a world of continuous deployment
- Sarah Platt, Managing Director Kinura – on the possibilities of HD live streaming
- Garrett Goodman (Director at Wotchit) on a product that aims to reduce the cost of production for digital publishers and streamline workflows for journalists and producers
Presented by Nic Newman, with an introduction from Roux Joubert.