Our habits dictate the quality of our life. If you have habits in your life that don’t serve you, you are going to end up living a life you don’t love, but if you learn to adapt habits that empower you, you will automatically change your world.
Every day, week and year I focus on becoming the best version of myself and in order to do this I have changed many habits over the last ten years. I know what I need to do to live the life that I want to live, but I am also a human being and sometimes I get side tracked or life ‘gets in the way’. I have therefore got to make sure that I stay focused on what makes me the best version of myself, and I always do my best to get back to that.
Here are some of the rituals in my life that have become habits over the years.
- I wake up in the morning and I say thank you.
- I list things that I can be grateful for like material things, people, experiences and challenges that I have overcome.
- I have a Rebounder (a small trampoline) on which I do a little bit of bouncing and whilst doing this I say my incantations (empowering affirmations).
- I drink a glass of fresh lemon water and then I do what my body is designed to do which is move.
- I do a combination of yoga, press-ups, squats and burpees, then I treat myself to a black coffee (I don’t consume any milk or dairy products) after which I go for my morning run.
- This is followed by meditation, a protein breakfast and a green smoothie.
- I always dedicate some time to myself to read , study and write my goals everyday so that I go out into each day knowing exactly what my mission is and purpose is. This strengthens my motivation for doing what I do.
- At some point during the course of the day I make sure that I exercise again. Why? Because movement is important to me. I know that movement is power and that if I take care of myself and my body everything else will fall into place.
These are my daily rituals. These are habits that I have created in my life, for my life, so that I can live at my peak and live my life as the person I want to be.
As I said before, I am human and I also have days where I don’t feel like getting out of bed, don’t feel like exercising, can’t be bothered to make a healthy breakfast, really don’t feel like reading or just feel stressed out.
In order to not let negative energy take control, I rewrite my rituals at least once a week to remind myself of what I need to do every day for me to have the habits of a peak performer and the habits of a healthy, happy person.
Some days I don’t have time to read, but rather than not read at all, for me to make it a habit I must to do it. To imprint these rituals into my life and make them habits I must do it. Rather than say I can’t read for fifteen minutes today so I am not going to read and then break that habit, I will read one page instead. If I can’t get out of bed and I press the snooze button which is something I very seldom do, I will press snooze once and I will start listing my ‘gratitudes’ while I’m lying in bed and then because I’m focusing on gratitude, I all of a sudden have the energy to start the day because I am grateful for that new day.
Creating empowering rituals in my life allows me to have better habits that serve me and allow me to be happy with who I am.
What habits do you have in your life that you can be proud of? What habits do you have in your life that serve you and contribute towards you being healthy and happy?