Dr Richard Halvorsen
I qualified in medicine at The Middlesex Hospital, London, in 1982. Soon after graduating I studied acupuncture for 2 years at the British College of Acupuncture in London. I have since studied both traditional Chinese and western medical acupuncture in China and the UK. I have practiced acupuncture for 25 years.
I worked as a GP in central London for over 20 year where I integrated acupuncture, and other complementary therapies, into orthodox general medical practice.
In 2009 I left the NHS to concentrate on my work in the private sector.
Dr Halvorsen is recognised as a provider of acupuncture by all major medical insurance companies including BUPA, AXA PP and Norwich Union.
The following is a list of the main conditions that acupuncture is likely to help.
The list is not exhaustive but includes the conditions most commonly treated by medical acupuncturists.
Painful musculo-skeletal conditions
- Muscle pain
- Strains and sprains
- Low back pain
- Neck pain
- Tennis elbow
- Shoulder pain
- Sports injuries
- Repetitive strain injury (RSI)
- Period pains
- Menopausal symtoms
- Polycystic ovaries
Conditions related to pregnancy
- Morning sickness
- Breech presentation
- Dyspepsia of pregnancy
- Low back and pelvic pain
- Hay fever
- Sinus problems and catarrh
- Acupuncture may be used to support smoking cessation provided the smoker already has the willpower to stop
- Acupuncture is also used to treat other addictions and to help overweight people lose weight
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease)
- High blood pressure
- Skin conditions
- Male infertility
For more information click here.