J.K. Rowling has topped a list of the most inspirational quotes from books by female authors.
To coincide with World Book Day, a new survey from Powwownow has revealed the most memorable lines, which most inspired us on a daily basis:
- “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.” – J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philsopher’s Stone
- “You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair.” – Zadie Smith, White Teeth
- “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” – Louisa May Alcott, Little Women
- “How wonderful is it that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” – Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl
- “You don’t have to live forever, you just have to live.” – Natalie Babbit, Tuck Everlasting
- “If you find yourself drawn to an event against all logic, go. The universe is telling you something.” – Gloria Steinem, My Life on the Road
- “Happiness is not a possession to be prizes, it is a quality of thought, a state of mind.” – Daphne du Maurier, Rebecca
- “I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.” – Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
- “I would always rather be happy than dignified.” – Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
- “Beware; for I am fearless. And therefore powerful.” – Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
Of those who took part in the survey, 32 per cent said they were inspired by these quotes as the language was powerful; 24 per cent said they were wise; and 21 per cent said the words were a clear call to action. Other reasons were that the language was beautiful, positive or reassuring.
The survey also revealed that 92 per cent of Brits consider language a very powerful motivator. When people hear an inspirational quote, over a third of people are motivated to waste less time, while nearly a third of us want to spend more time with friends or family or report having more confidence in themselves.
Speaking about the research, Jason Downes, Managing Director of Powwownow, said, “It’s clear that language is an enormously powerful way of motivating people and changing attitudes.”
“These inspirational quotes demonstrate the impact that compelling, beautiful and positive language can have on individuals and the way they approach challenges in their own lives.”
“We should all take some time to consider how our own words impact those around us, whether making someone feel more confident or helping empower your colleagues at work.”