The role of the SQL Server DBA is based within the ITG Technical services team. Reporting to the Technical Services Data team lead, the Role is to :
To assist with the management of the Lloyd’s DBA function and DBA input to Lloyd’s Prioritised Projects.
- To provide SQL consultancy to projects.
- To contribute to the strategy for the Lloyd’s SQL Server Database Environment.
- To provide day to day SQL support and Administration for all Lloyd’s Applications.
- To assist with the management of the Lloyd’s SQL Server Database Environment.
Major responsibilities and accountabilities
- Ensure robustness, data integrity, ownership and control of Lloyd’s database assets.
- Establish, document and publish the main functions to be performed in SQL Database Management.
- Designing / defining and implementing methods to enhance the Pro-Active Management of the SQL server estate.
- Provide extensive SQL administration and support across the Corporation.
- Provide input and SQL consultancy to projects as required.
- Set strategy for the Lloyd’s SQL Server Database Environment. Key contributer to the Operations Implementation Group and Technical Authority.
Generic responsibilities and accountabilities
- Deliver, Manage and maintain existing and future SQL environments and versions
- Manage SQL Server decommissioning as required
- Advice, guidance and consultancy to all SQL Database installations (should they be part of consolidated environment, whether GOLD/SILVER/BRONZE, stand-alone).
- Input to Server Operations administration and Security model for Lloyd’s SQL Server environment (and agree exceptions on case by case basis)
- Interaction with third party database support and suppliers (where appropriate)
- Assist with determining levels of support required for Business Unit databases
- Ensure sufficient DBA cover as required
- Advise on appropriate tool(s) for mapping of all SQL installations
- Where databases interact / support Information Management, identify interactions and procedures
- Establish appropriate toolset to supplement SQL Server administration
- Develop and maintain the centralised DBA SQL management application as appropriate
- Take part in the daily shift pattern between 7am and 7pm
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Must have an understanding of MS SQL database design and operating principles.
- Must have experience of multiple MS SQL 2000/2005/2008/2012 instances on large systems across Production, UAT, Test and Development environments.
- Must have deep experience of Transactional SQL, DTS / SSIS, stored procedures, script writing “” including powershell.
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Knowledge/experience of SQL Server Clustering, Replication, SSRS, SSAS Log shipping, Installation and configuration of SQL Server and advantage
- Project Management skills including Agile and SCRUM.
- Proven experience of working in a support capacity, providing support to both internally developed and third party provided applications.
- Awareness of the ITIL framework, specifically Change and Configuration Management
- Proven technical experience of Microsoft Windows Server technologies, Microsoft Windows PC technologies, Microsoft Office technologies, SQL Server
- Knowledge of the Lloyd’s environment an advantage
Experience of supporting / using the following an Advantage:
- Fusion IO
- Quest Products
- Redgate SQL tools
- Programming language experience (c#, .net)
- MOM, SCOM
- Project management