The Risk Management Department at Mizuho International is responsible for delivering an independent assessment of the risks taken across all the trading activities of the Company, and the revenue generated in relation to these risks. It is also responsible for implementing a limit framework consistent with the Company’s risk appetite and capital resources, in agreement with the Company’s Board and Mizuho Securities. The department is led by the Chief Risk Officer and is made up of the following teams:
- Credit Risk Management
- Market Risk Management
- Model Validation
- Operational Risk Management
- Regulatory & Liquidity Risk Management
- Risk Analytics
- Risk Reporting
Rank: Assistant Vice President
Purpose of the Role : Responsible for understanding and providing an independent assessment of the market risks taken by Mizuho International’s trading activities. The role involves substantial interaction with the trading desks, their management and liaison with the other support areas. The Market Risk Management team is part of Risk Management Department (reporting to the Deputy Chief Risk Officer of MHI). The Market Risk Management team is responsible for identifying, measuring and analysing market risk and for clearly communicating this to the senior management of the company. The market risk manager is also expected to actively participate in strategic initiatives designed to build upon and strengthen the current risk management framework.
- Daily market risk management for the European Governments, Supra-nationals, High Yield, Credit Trading, Non Yen and Swap Desks within the Fixed Income area.
- The role also requires involvement in other books as a cover (e.g. Equity Department and Primary Business activities).
- Produce periodic commentaries (daily; weekly; monthly) that link risk, p&l and market information to Market Risk and Stress Testing results. Identify and communicate top market risks.
- Link the commentaries with market risk measures.
- Assist in reviewing exposures as part of the Volcker rule.
- Assist in keeping Front Office appraised of the methodology that is being used to calculate their risk positions.
- Pro-actively participate in VaR methodology reviews.
- Assist in reviews of current Limit framework and implement change as appropriate in consideration of Mizuho International’s business plans.
- Assist in reviewing the Stress Testing scenarios and framework.
- Produce ad-hoc reviews of transactions and be involved in analysing new products on behalf of Market Risk Management.
- Participate in company initiatives to review the system infrastructure, to ensure it will provide a robust risk framework for the approved model set.