Thomson Reuters are the leading source of intelligent information for the world’s businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage.
Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster.
They deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world’s most trusted news organization.
Business Unit: Legal UKI
The legal business of Thomson Reuters delivers best-of-class solutions to help legal professionals practice the law, manage their organisation and grow their business. Their solutions include Thomson Reuters Practical Law, Westlaw UK, Sweet & Maxwell, Lawtel, Contract Express, Legal Tracker, Elite and IDS.
Their customers rely on them to deliver the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers.
The legal and regulatory world is changing rapidly. Thomson Reuters help their customers deliver their services with accuracy, speed and confidence. Through their innovative online products, decision support tools, software and services, we provide the critical information that law firms, barristers, corporate legal departments, the public sector and academics need to work at their best. For more information, visit legal-solutions.co.uk.
Role Purpose/ Summary:
Working as part of a cross-site team, the role is responsible for maintaining the throughput, quality and coverage of content generated by the Cases Department for provision to UKI Core Legal products and services, including Lawtel and WestlawUK. The remit includes sourcing and monitoring receipt of court documents, applying data standards to case law, copyediting and allocation of work to Cases editors in order to meet service requirements and customer needs.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Allocate writing and editing tasks to legal editors on a daily basis, ensuring the timely publication of case summaries to various products.
- Prioritise cases for reporting and publication according to specified reporting criteria and service level agreements.
- Create and manage case records within the various case databases.
- Copyedit case information, ensuring correct use of house style, grammar and syntax across all case records.
- Complete regular quality control tasks relating to case data.
- Ensure the timely publication of current awareness case information.
- Ensure appellate and indirect history of legal proceedings are accurately recorded and displayed.
- Note and observe reporting restrictions and anonymity of case content.
- Provide alerts to forthcoming appeals as per product requirements.
- Monitor and record the receipt and publication of official court transcripts to specified deadlines.
- Source and monitor receipt and publication of relevant data sources, e.g. cause list and transcripts, to ensure product requirements are fully met, including identifying and sourcing missing data.
- Summarise decisions according to house style, taxonomy and specified deadlines.
- Manage and respond to personal injury submissions, providing timely customer updates.
- Manage and action customer requests for transcripts.
- Purchase judgments within budget parameters and process transcriber invoices.
- Follow up customer requests for Pending Actions with court departments, judges and legal practitioners.
- Contact judges’ clerks on reporting issues and to obtain handed downs.
- Regular ad hoc attendance at court to search new acknowledgments, source Pending Actions documents and collect judgments for publication.
- Maintain the Pending Actions database, adding new acknowledgment data, checking daily to keep the records up-to-date.
- Write summaries of statements of case and other court documents as required.
- Maintain an excellent level of customer service – taking proactive ownership for answering customer and colleague queries fully, quickly and effectively.
- Build and maintain strong links with court, transcription contacts and customers.
- Provide cover, feedback and training for team and UKI colleagues as needed, including cross-site support of Production and Tracking tasks as required.
- Be fully cross-trained and skilled in all Production/Tracking tasks in order to provide comprehensive support to colleagues during periods of peak workload, absence and holiday as requested.
- Display a good knowledge of UKI Legal products, processes, systems and their different requirements.
- Maintain procedure notes for all areas of work.
- Resolve issues at root cause and make recommendations for process improvement.
- Identify and resolve publication issues as they arise, ensuring queries are fully investigated.
- Gather and collate information/produce reports as required.
- Maintain the required level of self-management and prioritisation of workload.
Mandatory Skills and Experience:
- Computer literate and able to understand new technical processes quickly.
- Excellent written communication, grammar and general editorial skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Negotiation skills and ability to influence.
- Ability to self-motivate, work autonomously and as part of a cross-site team to meet tight deadlines.
- Understanding of customer requirements and the ability to balance those requirements with the needs of the business.
- Understanding of the relationship dynamic between quality and what the market is willing to pay for.
- Ability to complete work accurately and to tight deadlines.
- Good time management and organisation skills.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Experience of editorial copy editing.
- Experience within a legal environment and a background knowledge of the UK court system.
- Education/ Certifications Required:
- Educated to degree level or able to demonstrate an equivalent level of relevant experience.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We’ll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.