As one of the world’s leading investment management organizations and one of the top U.S. wealth managers, BNY Mellon Investment Management combines agility, insight and scale to create and deliver strategies and solutions to address our clients’ needs. Encompassing BNY Mellon’s investment management firms, wealth management organization and global distribution teams, we draw on deep expertise to collaborate with clients and tailor our best ideas and resources to meet their specific needs. We pride ourselves on providing dedicated service through our network of global professionals who have a deep understanding of local requirements. With our extensive experience in anticipating and responding to the investment and financial needs of the world’s governments, pension plan sponsors, corporations, foundations, endowments, advisors, intermediaries, individuals and families, and family offices, BNY Mellon Investment Management is dedicated to helping clients reach their goals.
Contribute to developing a ‘best in class’ finance function that thrives on ‘adding value’ and demonstrates continuous improvement
Key Finance Business Partner, supporting the one or more business heads with management reporting, business analysis, decision support, and guidance to support enhancing business performance.
Produce Management Accounts and associated reporting whilst providing the analysis that will support the business decisions and strategy. Deliverables will include, but are not restricted to:
- Coordination and review of Period close commentary as part of the BNY Mellon Investment Management reporting timeline, which include variance analysis against plan, forecast and historic results
- Review of Revenue Ladder template as part of the BNY Mellon Investment Management reporting timeline
- Board and other senior management papers on Walter Scott results, along with explanatory commentary and analysis
- Operating and capital plan and forecasts submitted as part of the BNY Mellon Investment Management reporting timeline
- Work closely with senior managers to formulate strategic and financial plans and budgets/forecast. Monitor performance against plan and forecast, and investigate and comment on variances.
- Manage and continuously improve the models and processes used to deliver the financial plan and forecasts
- Identify gaps in the management information needs of the business.
- Working with multiple stakeholders to lead and coordinate the design, build and delivery of appropriate MI in an accurate and timely manner.
MI deliverables will include, but are not restricted to:
- Client profitability
- New business and revenue dynamics
- Detailed expense analysis at the appropriate level eg departmental and cost drivers
- Segmentation and channel profitability eg direct vs distribution
- Understand the drivers behind the results and use management information to drive the correct behaviour across the business and contribute towards improved business performance, including giving supportive recommendations whilst questioning anomalies
- Escalate issues in an appropriate and timely manner to management in accordance with policy
Participate and contribute in process improvement reviews with the wider team as part of ongoing continuous improvement activities including:
- Recommend process improvements based on analyses and supporting documentation
- Perform root cause analysis as a means of addressing and eliminating data integrity and quality issues over time
- Interact with the Legal Entity Controller for Walter Scott (seek reassurance that the controls over the financial accounting processes have been functioning effectively and that the output can be relied upon).
- And also contribute to the maintenance of internal controls in line with Walter Scott, BNYM policy, GAAP and SOX.
Generic Staff Responsibilities:
Produce and maintain a clear and robust audit trail including:
- timely and accurate completion of activities in line with departmental and SOX compliant checklists
- contribution to departmental processes and controls in relation to all aspects of revenue
- using Excel spreadsheets in a clear, well controlled manner
- produce and maintain clear and accurate process notes
- Executes additional tasks in order to meet departmental project-related or development and change objectives
- Comply with all Company policies (including Corporate Accounting Policies) and procedures within the department
- Alert management immediately of any significant changes to business risks and internal controls effectiveness
- Notify management and/ or Compliance immediately of any regulatory breach
- Comply with health and safety policies and procedures
Walter Scott Competencies:
- Decision Making and Accountability
- Flexibility and Adaptability
- Managing Risk
- Compliance and Ethics
Job Specific Competencies:
- Excellent time management and organisation skills, ability to deliver against tight timelines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including verbal, written and presentational
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work as part of a wider team, share knowledge and coach more junior members of the team
- Work across boundaries and manage stakeholders
- Proactive and ability to “think on feet”
- Analytical thinker with proven experience of financial data analysis and reporting, with the ability to communicate complex analysis and trends in the relevant format for your audience.
Technical Skills, Knowledge, Systems Knowledge:
- Excellent IT skills including intermediate to advanced MS Excel
- Financial sector experience preferred, but not essential
- Qualified ICAS/ACCA/CIMA accountant with at least 10 years PQE in a commercial environment
- Strong academic background
- Good university degree (2:1 or above)