The National Audit Office (NAO) are currently recruiting for a new Head of Learning, Development and Talent to join them in London.
Main purpose of the role
The NAO works in a complex and changing external environment. Public service delivery has become more complex and aims to be ever more digitally enabled and public bodies are delivering services in new ways. Brexit will have a big impact on how government is run and the development of new policies and changes in financial arrangements will all impact on the NAO. In addition to the challenge of a changing government environment we also operate in a highly regulated and evolving audit environment. The NAO needs our people to have the confidence to operate in this environment and the skills to enable us to deliver high quality audit services to our clients. In this role you will play a key role in developing the NAO’s learning and development strategy in the context of these challenges and providing leadership in delivering our range of learning, development and talent management programmes.
Reporting directly to the Leadership Team member for Corporate Services, the main purpose of the job is to ensure that our people get the learning and development they need at the time they need it, building their capabilities to do the job and fulfilling their career potential with the NAO. This includes the following:
- Reinforce the desired culture and NAO ‘brand’.
- Work with the other main NAO providers of training and development and business units to produce and implement a comprehensive learning and development strategy and plan, in response to the NAO’s training and development needs. This plan will be corporate wide, incorporating audit and central service requirements at both London and Newcastle offices.
- Monitor and report to the internal Training Committee and the Leadership Team on the implementation of the strategy, and on compliance by our people with the NAO’s Learning and Development expectations.
- Develop a suite of metrics to evaluate the success of various learning interventions to ensure that the necessary outcomes are achieved and flex the offer if they are not.
These are the key responsibilities in this role:-
- Work with the Learning and Development team and key business units to ensure the development and implementation of the NAO’s Learning and Development Strategy.
- Develop an annual training implementation plan outlining: how the Learning and Development Strategy will be delivered to our people; and what skills attainment levels people should have as a minimum (dependent on specialism and grade).
- Review, design and manage the delivery of the NAO’s talent management programme working with external partners and internal stakeholders, where appropriate.
- Develop the NAO’s Talent Management Strategy, ensuring that the NAO’s Learning and Development Strategy supports the identification and development of our best talent.
- Evaluate all learning and development activities to assess impact and value for money.
Full details of the role can be found in the job description.
Skills, experience and attributes
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:-
- Experience in designing and implementing Learning and Development strategies in comparable organisations (desirable if in accounting or professional services. sectors) and achieving successful outcomes and business benefits.
- Expert knowledge in current learning and development techniques, including successful talent management programmes.
- Ability to think proactively, creatively and strategically to develop new solutions to support the further development of the NAO and to address a wide range of complex and challenging people management issues and key corporate business priorities.
- Strong credibility to gain the agreement and support of senior management to drive learning and development and the broader people agenda forward.
- Strong communication, influencing and engagement skills, including well developed written and presentational skills.
Location: Victoria, London (Greater)
Salary: £64,000 to c.£80,000 (more may be available for a very exceptional candidate)
Application closing date: 18 Nov 2018
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time